Powerful Defense Against Sexual Assault Charges
At the Bay Area law firm of Rien, Adams & Cox, LLP, we believe every client deserves respect, due process and a zealous advocate in the criminal justice system. This means you are innocent until proven guilty, and your rights need to be upheld every step of the way.
Having a criminal record of any kind can lead to obstacles in your personal life. Sex crime accusations or convictions are perhaps the most challenging in this respect. The social stigma of being a convicted sex offender may limit your employment opportunities and where you can live. It can even change relationships with your friends and family.
Whether you were charged with a sex crime against an adult or a minor, our defense lawyers are here to help. Call 925-449-0666 to arrange a free initial consultation.
Are you looking for a female defense attorney? Look no further than Melissa E. Adams. She has vigorously defended numerous clients against sex crime charges. If you prefer a male defense lawyer, you can count on Timothy B. Rien or Joseph J. Cox to fight for you.
We handle the following matters, among many others:
- Sexual assault charges, including rape and sexual battery
- Internet-related sex crimes, such as possession of child pornography and soliciting a minor to participate in a sex act via a chat room
- Crimes against minors, such as “sexting” or child molestation
- Sex offender registration, including forgetting to register, or ending your registration requirement
Defense Options When Accused Of A Sex Crime
Charges may have been brought against you, but that does not mean you have to give in to the criminal justice system. There are ways to fight back, protect your reputation and your future. Here are a few possibilities:
- Proving allegations are false: Many sex crime accusations arise out of known relationships. For example, the alleged victim may be a minor child whose family you know. He or she may even be your current boyfriend or girlfriend, or the child of your significant other. In some of these cases, the alleged victim and his or her family may be motivated to bring false charges against you. We can help uncover why this is happening so that your name can be cleared.
- Challenging evidence: Assertions about your location at a given time and DNA evidence can be particularly incriminating when prosecutors bring charges against you. Such evidence is not always a reliable indication of criminal activity. We can help suppress evidence that was unlawfully gathered by law enforcement and investigators, and we can ensure that misleading evidence is properly discussed at trial.
- Negotiating reduced charges or sentences: Even if the charges against you cannot be dismissed entirely, we can help mitigate the consequences by pursuing reduced charges or sentences. This can involve negotiating plea agreements or negotiating a disposition that does not involve sex offender registration. We understand which of these options are likely to be your best option, and we can advise on which route to take in your defense.
Do Not Try To Explain — Talk To Our Defense Lawyers First
It may be tempting to try to reason with the alleged victim when you have been accused of a crime. You may feel compelled to tell the police more information than you should. Remember that talking without a defense attorney present can lead to incriminating evidence against you.
Call 925-449-0666 or email our office before you share information with other parties. We can listen during a confidential consultation and give you the straightforward counsel you need.